After much debate, packing, and then repacking after Christmas presents and post-holiday shopping, I have finally settled on my winter capsule wardrobe! Doesn’t it look so pretty all laid out and organized? I actually think this will be really useful for putting outfits together (I am definitely a visual learner).
Over the past couple weeks I ended up adding a couple key pieces to my packing list – the perfect chambray shirt (definitely size down!), the most perfect travel turtleneck (bon voyage!), a versatile navy lace dress, some fun (yet so comfy) slouchy pants (on sale in store), and the perfect LBD. Don’t you just love post-Christmas sales and gift cards?
I think the two dresses will end up being super versatile, since I can dress them up or down, and they basically work in any season. And of course a chambray shirt goes with everything. The wool turtleneck was a bit of a splurge, but it was too cute not to pass up. Plus I really only had one other wool sweater (my fair isle). I am hoping this wardrobe will prove to be functional, versatile, and stylish!
I didn’t include shoes or purses in my capsule because I am already bringing a limited selection of shoes that I will wear throughout my 7 months abroad. I have also finalized my spring capsule and will share that with you soon.
I probably could have eliminated a few more items (I did eliminate one puffer, I hate to admit it, but Bethany you were right!), however, once I am there I can’t just grab something from storage if I decide I need it. So since my suitcases are holding everything nicely, and coming in under 50 pounds, I figured I would error on the side of more. I will probably regret this when I am trying to get my bags to my 4th-floor apartment!
Here is how everything ended up breaking down:
- 6 sweaters (2 wool, 1 merino, 3 cotton)
- 6 button up shirts/blouses (a mix of dressy and casual, with a detachable pussy bow of course!)
- 1 striped t-shirt (I have a couple extra basic t-shirts included in my lounge wear, which can do double duty if I find I need more t-shirts. I am also bringing 2 tissue turtlenecks for layering under sweaters, button ups, and dresses)
- 3 coats (1 heavy-duty cocoon coat, 1 lighter toggle coat, 1 cropped jacket with capelet)
- 1 cape (I just could leave this adorable plaid cape behind!)
- 2 jeans (1 black, 1 dark wash)
- 1 pair of thick ponte leggings
- 1 pair of plaid pants (which match the blazer so they can double as a suit)
- 1 pair of slouchy silk pants
- 6 skirts (to go with these skirts I am packing lots of opaque and fleece lined tights and knee high socks)
- 7 dresses (two of which are dressy enough to wear for work-related functions)
- 2 puffer vests (I admit defeat)
- 1 plaid blazer (I am also packing a small special occasion capsule – 4 pieces – for work/conferences/special events)
So what do you think? I am curious to hear your thoughts since everyone gave such helpful advice last time! I will also be sharing the shoes, purses, and accessories I packed soon!
T-minus 10 days!